Subject: Re: bug#62836: [PATCH] Provide an example of using fuzzier completion.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 11:34:57 +0300

> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 11:01:54 -0400
> 
> >From b8d081b19cb46965c6fc170253702c53d53f2ee2 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:58:17 -0400
> Subject: [PATCH] Provide an example of using fuzzier completion.
> 
> In my experience, new users of vanilla Emacs often complain about the
> lack of fuzzy completion by default.  However, the "basic" completion
> style provides a decent amount of fuzziness out of the box.  We should
> explain this a little more to users.  (I myself have often had to
> explain this.)

Are the examples you suggest to add really considered as "fuzzy
completion"?

> +  @key{TAB} also works while point is not at the end of the
> +minibuffer.  If you type @kbd{M-x a u t o c m o d e}, then @kbd{C-b}
> +several times to move point back before the @samp{mode}, you can hit
> +@key{TAB} to insert text between @samp{autoc} and @samp{mode}
> +so that the minibuffer contains @code{autoconf-mode}.
> +
> +  When point is not at the end of the minibuffer and you hit
> +@kbd{TAB}, completion will fill in text both at point and at the end
> +of the minibuffer.  So you could also type @kbd{M-x a u t o c m o},
> +@kbd{C-b} twice to move point back before the @samp{mo}, and then
> +@key{TAB} will insert the text @samp{onf-} at point and @samp{de} at
> +the end of the minibuffer, so that the minibuffer contains
> +@code{autoconf-mode}.

I'd prefer to have only the second example, as it demonstrates the
more general behavior, which includes the one described by the first
example.

Also, we use @kbd{M-x autocmo}, without the spaces between characters,
in such cases.  (It is actually enough to type "M-x autocm" followed
by a single C-b, to show the behavior in this case.)

Please be consistent about your markup: if you use @samp{onf-},
pleased also use @samp{autoconf-mode}.

Finally, please use @kbd{@key{TAB}} in the context that calls for the
user to press the TAB key.

Thanks.