Subject: [PATCH] Provide an example of using fuzzier completion.

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 11:01:54 -0400

Tags: patch

Hopefully a useful documentation improvement.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-03-13 built on
 igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: e759905d2e0828eac4c8164b09113b40f6899656
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules
 --with-gif=ifavailable'

>From b8d081b19cb46965c6fc170253702c53d53f2ee2 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:58:17 -0400
Subject: [PATCH] Provide an example of using fuzzier completion.

In my experience, new users of vanilla Emacs often complain about the
lack of fuzzy completion by default.  However, the "basic" completion
style provides a decent amount of fuzziness out of the box.  We should
explain this a little more to users.  (I myself have often had to
explain this.)

* doc/emacs/mini.texi (Completion Example):
Provide an example of using more advanced "basic" completion.
---
 doc/emacs/mini.texi | 14 ++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 14 insertions(+)

diff --git a/doc/emacs/mini.texi b/doc/emacs/mini.texi
index 6fb312ec321..812218d1ab2 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/mini.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/mini.texi
@@ -326,6 +326,20 @@ Completion Example
   Hence, typing just @kbd{a u @key{TAB} - f @key{TAB}} allows you to
 enter @samp{auto-fill-mode}.
 
+  @key{TAB} also works while point is not at the end of the
+minibuffer.  If you type @kbd{M-x a u t o c m o d e}, then @kbd{C-b}
+several times to move point back before the @samp{mode}, you can hit
+@key{TAB} to insert text between @samp{autoc} and @samp{mode}
+so that the minibuffer contains @code{autoconf-mode}.
+
+  When point is not at the end of the minibuffer and you hit
+@kbd{TAB}, completion will fill in text both at point and at the end
+of the minibuffer.  So you could also type @kbd{M-x a u t o c m o},
+@kbd{C-b} twice to move point back before the @samp{mo}, and then
+@key{TAB} will insert the text @samp{onf-} at point and @samp{de} at
+the end of the minibuffer, so that the minibuffer contains
+@code{autoconf-mode}.
+
 @node Completion Commands
 @subsection Completion Commands
 
-- 
2.30.2