Subject: bug#62833: 30.0.50; ERC 5.6: Rethink buffer-display options and behavior

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 18:28:14 +0300

> From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 07:52:20 -0700
> 
> The solution to all this isn't straightforward, and we're making headway
> on it for ERC 5.6. In the meantime, I'm wondering if we might consider
> appeasing these disgruntled users somehow. Normally, I'd prefer just
> reverting back to `buffer', but because much has been made about its
> potential for causing mayhem via unintended sharing, I'm thinking we
> might change the default in Emacs 29 to `window-noselect'. This value
> tells ERC to show new buffers in a sibling window of the same vertical
> combination.

I don't use ERC, but how does it make sense to change the default so
close to a release?  I could understand reverting back to 'buffer',
which was used for a long time, but switching to a new default that
had no real testing period?  Are you absolutely sure this is a good
idea?  And on top of that, change it only for Emacs 29?