Subject: bug#6283: doc/lispref/searching.texi reference to octal code `0377' correct?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 20:46:41 +0300

> Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:06:34 -0400
> From: MON KEY <[email-masked]>
> Cc: 
> 
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> Do you not see a contradiction of convention here?
> >
> > No, I see two different conventions used interchangeably.
> 
> Do you recognize that one convention is explicity recognized by
> Emacs/Emacs-elisp whereas the other is not?

Yes, but I don't think that the manual should use only forms that can
be evaluated or read by the Lisp reader.  A manual is intended for
human consumption (except where it shows examples of code), not for
the Lisp reader.

> Can you maybe see how the interchangeable use of these two different
> conventions might be confusing to the audience for which the _elisp_
> manual was intended

No, I don't see how using conventions widely accepted in the
programming world should be confusing to Lisp programmers.  I actually
think that readers who are not too experienced in Emacs Lisp will find
this text easier to understand if it uses conventions they are
familiar with and used to.

Anyway, I think it's time to end this discussion.  It's quite clear we
disagree on this issue, and no repetition of the same arguments will
change that.  Thanks for taking time to make your position clear.