Subject: bug#62813: 29.0.60; etc/AUTHORS listing README.md

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 17:45:09 +0300

tags 62813 notabug
thanks

> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 11:32:14 +0000
> 
> When viewing etc/AUTHORS, I see that a number of people have modified a
> file "README.md" that is not to be found in emacs.git.  From what I see,
> these people have frequently also changed eglot.git, which makes me
> think that this is an issue with the import-merge of the Eglot
> repository into emacs.git.  This seems like something that authors.el
> should be made aware of.

First, attributions in AUTHORS don't necessarily mention files that
are physically present in the repository.  E.g., we don't want to
ignore contributions to files that we at some point decided to remove
from Emacs.

In this case, it was my decision to tweak authors.el's databases so
that contributions to files in merged packages, such as Eglot and
use-package, will be reflected in AUTHORS even though the files to
which they contributed were eventually deleted when the package was
merged.  Where the stuff in those deleted files was moved to other
files, which do exist, I tried to redirect the attributions to the
existing files.  But where that was impossible or impractical, I saw
no problem in having removed files referenced by AUTHORS.

Eglot's README.md was deleted some time after Eglot was merged with
Emacs, or maybe even before that, but the text in it is now largely in
the Eglot manual, in some form or another.  So having these
attributions in AUTHORS makes sense to me.

This is not a bug.