Subject: bug#62813: closed (Re: bug#62813: 29.0.60; etc/AUTHORS listing README.md)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 10:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#62813: 29.0.60; etc/AUTHORS listing README.md

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
62813: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62813
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#62813: 29.0.60; etc/AUTHORS listing README.md
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 03:36:26 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> tags 62813 notabug
> thanks
>
>> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 11:32:14 +0000
>>
>> When viewing etc/AUTHORS, I see that a number of people have modified a
>> file "README.md" that is not to be found in emacs.git.  From what I see,
>> these people have frequently also changed eglot.git, which makes me
>> think that this is an issue with the import-merge of the Eglot
>> repository into emacs.git.  This seems like something that authors.el
>> should be made aware of.
>
> First, attributions in AUTHORS don't necessarily mention files that
> are physically present in the repository.  E.g., we don't want to
> ignore contributions to files that we at some point decided to remove
> from Emacs.
>
> In this case, it was my decision to tweak authors.el's databases so
> that contributions to files in merged packages, such as Eglot and
> use-package, will be reflected in AUTHORS even though the files to
> which they contributed were eventually deleted when the package was
> merged.  Where the stuff in those deleted files was moved to other
> files, which do exist, I tried to redirect the attributions to the
> existing files.  But where that was impossible or impractical, I saw
> no problem in having removed files referenced by AUTHORS.
>
> Eglot's README.md was deleted some time after Eglot was merged with
> Emacs, or maybe even before that, but the text in it is now largely in
> the Eglot manual, in some form or another.  So having these
> attributions in AUTHORS makes sense to me.
>
> This is not a bug.

Agreed.  I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 29.0.60; etc/AUTHORS listing README.md
From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 11:32:14 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When viewing etc/AUTHORS, I see that a number of people have modified a
file "README.md" that is not to be found in emacs.git.  From what I see,
these people have frequently also changed eglot.git, which makes me
think that this is an issue with the import-merge of the Eglot
repository into emacs.git.  This seems like something that authors.el
should be made aware of.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.37, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-04-10 built on quetzal
Repository revision: 305246d9726bbe05a65ad3836880138db5c01dfa
Repository branch: emacs-29
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk --with-imagemagick --with-native-compilation
 --with-tree-sitter --with-json CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native -pipe'
 LDFLAGS=-flto'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: NEWS

Minor modes in effect:
  rcirc-color-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  vertico-flat-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  button-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/shell-command+/shell-command+ hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/shell-command+/shell-command+
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/shell-command+/shell-command+-tests hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/shell-command+/shell-command+-tests
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/flymake-proselint/flymake-proselint hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/flymake-proselint-0.3.0/flymake-proselint
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/vc-backup/vc-backup hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/vc-backup/vc-backup
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/setup/setup hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/setup/setup
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/sp-tutor/sp-tutor hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/sp-tutor/sp-tutor
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/sp-tutor/waffel hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/sp-tutor/waffel
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/package-lint/package-lint-test hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/package-lint/package-lint-test
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/package-lint/package-lint hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/package-lint/package-lint
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/package-lint/package-lint-flymake hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/package-lint/package-lint-flymake
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/transient
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/xref-1.6.3/xref hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/progmodes/xref
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/project-0.9.8/project hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/progmodes/project
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/seq-2.23/seq hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow emacsbug face-remap emacs-news-mode apropos rcirc-color rcirc
vc-backup copyright time-stamp mailalias smtpmail package-x whitespace
avy pulse color xref cl-print flymake-cc vc-git bug-reference cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs find-func char-fold misearch multi-isearch shortdoc
vertico-directory completion help-fns buffer-env autocrypt-message
writegood-mode ecomplete ietf-drums-date sort smiley gnus-cite qp
mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table
autocrypt-gnus autocrypt nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder epa-file
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message yank-media
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win flyspell ispell
checkdoc flymake-proc flymake yasnippet-snippets yasnippet noutline
outline comp comp-cstr warnings editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch init repeat project
format-spec battery dbus xml shell-command+ thingatpt dired-x time
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gnus nnheader gnus-util time-date
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr diff-hl-flydiff diff diff-hl
log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc dired dired-loaddefs vc-dispatcher
diff-mode easy-mmode hippie-exp winner windmove corfu-history corfu
vertico-flat vertico compat elec-pair recentf tree-widget saveplace
savehist pixel-scroll cua-base xt-mouse cus-edit pp wid-edit which-func
imenu cus-load setup finder-inf .auto-site compile text-property-search
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt radix-tree
site-lisp shell-command+-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
flymake-proselint-autoloads site-lisp-autoloads gtags-mode-autoloads
focus-autoloads buffer-env-autoloads avy-autoloads
yasnippet-snippets-autoloads magit-autoloads geiser-mit-autoloads
bash-completion-autoloads vc-backup-autoloads setup-autoloads
auctex-autoloads tex-site proof-general-autoloads proof-site
proof-autoloads git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
inspector-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads geiser-autoloads
project-autoloads transient-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
vertico-autoloads jit-spell-autoloads corfu-autoloads compat-autoloads
sp-tutor-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
package-lint-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads rcirc-color-autoloads
seq-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
writegood-mode-autoloads sly-autoloads xref-autoloads go-mode-autoloads
info dash-autoloads package let-alist derived rx pcase browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json map
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars inline epg rfc6068 epg-config
subr-x cl-extra help-mode icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 658180 36628)
 (symbols 48 29063 1)
 (strings 32 129833 12798)
 (string-bytes 1 3624740)
 (vectors 16 81460)
 (vector-slots 8 2205862 208312)
 (floats 8 725 836)
 (intervals 56 8188 1240)
 (buffers 984 43))