Subject: bug#62812: closed (Re: bug#62812: [PATCH] Re: bug#62812: 29.0.60; Persistent article cache not working properly)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 07:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#62812: 29.0.60; Persistent article cache not working properly

which was filed against the emacs,gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
62812: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62812
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#62812: [PATCH] Re: bug#62812: 29.0.60; Persistent article cache not working properly
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: James Thomas <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 10:43:32 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: James Thomas <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 12:59:42 +0530
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > OK, but now I'm confused regarding which change(s) to install.  This
> > discussion includes 3 changes, so which ones are proposed and
> > approved?  James, would you please post a single consolidated patch
> > you think should be installed, with the appropriate commit log
> > message?
> >
> > Thanks.
> 
> Attached:

Thanks, installed on the emacs-29 branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.0.60; Persistent article cache not working properly
From: James Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 15:36:27 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

(From an emacs session started with gnus-mock-start)
1. M-: (setq gnus-use-cache t)
2. M-x gnus
3. RET on 'mails'
4. M P b
5. *
6. q
7. ^
8. a nnml RET cache RET
9. e on 'nnml:cache'
10. Paste the following, with /tmp/emacs-gnus-mock-h7X6w6 replaced with
the value of gnus-home-directory:

  (nnml "cache"
        (nnml-directory "/tmp/emacs-gnus-mock-h7X6w6/News/cache/")
        (nnml-active-file
        "/tmp/emacs-gnus-mock-h7X6w6/News/cache/active"))

  C-c C-c
11. RET on 'nnml:cache'
12. RET on 'mails'

"Group nnml+cache:mails couldn’t be activated"

Further, if you do:

13. q
14. g on 'nnml:cache'
15. RET on 'nnml:cache'

There's a ghost group 'nil', but:

16. RET on 'mails'

And it works (but I've sometimes seen some mails missing until I delete
the visible ones and regenerate the server again).

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-04-01 built on
 user-Inspiron-15-5518
Repository revision: 6419d78fa6f8a7794893da5a8a5d65f75a5a29fa
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: EXWM

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-environment-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230315.1520/transient hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/transient
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-jump hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-ensure hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-lint hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-core hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-delight hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/bind-key
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-bind-key hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-diminish hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mail-extr emacsbug cl-print gnus-async
gnus-cite gnus-cus gnus-demon gnus-diary nndiary gnus-draft gnus-dup
gnus-fun gnus-html gnus-kill gnus-logic gnus-mh mh-comp mh-scan mh-gnus
mh-e mh-buffers mh-loaddefs gnus-registry registry eieio-base rmailsum
rmail gnus-salt gnus-topic gnus-uu yenc gnus-vm epa-file utf-7
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua
bbdb-com bbdb bbdb-site auth-source-xoauth2 auth-source-pass smtpmail
cus-edit cus-start lisp-mnt finder-inf gnus-mock pp dired-aux shr-color
color timezone textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check network-stream url-http url-gw nsm
url-cache url-auth hippie-exp compile warnings files-x arc-mode
archive-mode rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok
nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element org-persist org-id org-refile avl-tree
generator oc-basic ol-w3m ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ol-eww eww
url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom puny mm-url gnus
nnheader gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr ol-docview doc-view filenotify image-mode exif ol-bibtex
bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb org org-macro org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities noutline outline icons ob-dot ob-R ob-python
python treesit ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
ob-comint ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx
org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func org-version
org-compat org-macs cal-iso help-fns radix-tree thingatpt cal-move
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs calc-undo calc-vec calc-aent calc-yank
calccomp calc-arith calc-alg calc-forms calc-ext calc-misc mule-util
magit-base magit-section crm dash compat compat-29 misearch
multi-isearch jka-compr calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs
shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color time time-date denote xdg
dired dired-loaddefs xref project ring edmacro desktop-environment ediff
ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util exwm-systemtray xcb-systemtray xcb-xembed exwm exwm-input
xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render
exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto
xcb-types xcb-debug kmacro server cl-extra help-mode advice recentf
tree-widget wid-edit use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core format-spec icomplete battery dbus xml cus-load pcase
gnus-mock-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads org-remark-autoloads
org-mime-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 899163 122424)
 (symbols 48 51409 1)
 (strings 32 258636 19837)
 (string-bytes 1 7730958)
 (vectors 16 124156)
 (vector-slots 8 2366288 78523)
 (floats 8 475 473)
 (intervals 56 8074 13313)
 (buffers 984 38))