Subject: [bug#62806] [PATCH] gnu: home: services: fontutils: Add support for SXML fragments.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 22:41:10 +0200

Hi,

Andrew Patterson <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/home/services/fontutils.scm (add-fontconfig-config-file): Add
> support for adding arbitrary SXML configuration into fonts.conf;
> * doc/guix.texi (Fonts Services): Update the documentation.
> ---
> One of the main reasons I haven't started using guix home is that I use
> fonts.conf for setting default fonts, which guix home doesn't work with.
> This patch fixes that issue, by letting you add arbitrary XML to
> fonts.conf via SXML. 

Nice!  You’re the third person looking into this, which shows there’s a
real need.  :-)

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62145
  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57963

I like that your patch is simple (it doesn’t try to do anything beyond
serializing SXML); perhaps there are ideas to borrow from the patch by
Taiju HIGASHI?

OTOH it’s less convenient to use for someone who’s not familiar with the
XML schema of ‘fonts.conf’ than what the patch by conses does.

I think we should really move forward on this.  Because it’s not
invasive, this patch sounds like the path of least resistance.

What are your thoughts, people?  What should we choose?  :-)

Ludo’.