Subject: RE: bug#6280: 24.0.50; (elisp) Dedicated Windows

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 19:32:34 -0800 (PST)

> > Dedicated windows have an entire section in the Elisp manual.
> > What is not sufficiently clear there?
> 
> Looks clear enough to me.  Closing.

Did you read the bug report?  It was NOT saying that node
`Dedicated Windows' in (elisp) is unclear.  It said nothing of
the kind.

So that reason for closing this bug (which is not about that)
is 100% a red herring.

To repeat what I said before:

> I was clear about what is needed for the doc about this topic:
> 
> 1. Put something in the Emacs manual about how to make windows
>    dedicated.
>
> 2. In the Elisp manual, mention `special-display' buffers in node
>    `Dedicated Windows'.
> 
> See the original bug report for details.

There is NOTHING in the Emacs manual about dedicated windows,
except for this mention in passing (in node `Minibuffer Edit'),
which offers no explanation and has not even a cross reference
to the Elisp manual for the topic:

  When not active, the minibuffer is in `minibuffer-inactive-mode',
  and clicking `Mouse-1' there shows the `*Messages*' buffer.  If
  you use a dedicated frame for minibuffers, Emacs also recognizes
  certain keys there, for example `n' to make a new frame.

The bug is still a bug.  There is nothing in the Emacs manual
about how to make windows dedicated.  And there is no mention of
`special-display' buffers in (elisp) `Dedicated Windows'.