Subject: bug#62784: drascula, lure, lure-de, lure-es, lure-fr, lure-it, sky: non-commercial license

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 11:35:19 +0200

Hi Denis,

Am Mittwoch, dem 12.04.2023 um 01:52 +0200 schrieb Denis 'GNUtoo'
Carikli:
> Hi,
> 
> The license of all these packages have that inside:
> > 3) You may not charge a fee for the game itself. This includes
> > reselling the game as an individual item.
> 
> And the FSDG has that:
> > Non-functional Data
> > -------------------
> > Data that isn't functional, that doesn't do a practical job, is
> > more of an adornment to the system's software than a part of it. Th
> > Thus, we don't insist on the free license criteria for non-
> > functional data.  It can be included in a free system distribution
> > as long as its license gives you permission to copy and
> > redistribute, both for commercial and non-commercial purposes. For
> > example, some game engines released under the GNU GPL have
> > accompanying game information—a fictional world map, game graphics,
> > and so on—released under such a verbatim-distribution license. This
> > kind of data can be part of a free system distribution, even though
> > its license does not qualify as free, because it is non-functional.
> 
> So unfortunately here we need to remove these games.
We have been aware of this for about half a year now (see the thread in
guix-devel following [1]), but as other FSDG-abiding distributions
still include these games (or at least did back then) we postponed
their removal.

Cheers

PS: Tobias, do you have a reply from the licensing team?

[1] <[email-masked]>