Subject: 30.0.50; 'project-find-file' ignoring 'file-name-history'

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 17:21:24 +0200

I am on Emacs 30 with Vertico.  At some point during the Emacs 29/30
development cycle, C-x p f (project-find-file) stopped suggesting
recently opened files correctly.  More specifically, opening a project
file updates the 'file-name-history', but the command does not suggest
recent items based on the content of the variable.

C-x C-f (find-file) works well in this regard.

Perhaps bug#58447 created this problem?

Some of the items stored in the 'file-name-history':

"~/src/eg/core/db.fnl"          ; project ~/src/eg
"~/src/eg/core/atrium.fnl"      ; project ~/src/eg
"~/org/collatz-conjecture.org"  ; project ~/
"~/org/complement.org"          ; project ~/
...

Thank you in advance!

Rudy

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin22.3.0, NS
 appkit-2299.40 Version 13.2.1 (Build 22D68)) of 2023-03-28 built on
 Rudolfs-MacBook-Air.local
Repository revision: 28a9438169f379cea6d79fb480a85fc56ad666f4
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.2.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-json --with-xwidgets'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: rcirc

Minor modes in effect:
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  telega-root-auto-fill-mode: t
  telega-active-locations-mode: t
  telega-patrons-mode: t
  telega-mode-line-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-goto-address-mode: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  use-hard-newlines: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/salutis/.emacs.d/elpa/modus-themes-20230331.1210/theme-loaddefs hides /Users/salutis/src/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/Users/salutis/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230315.1520/transient hides /Users/salutis/src/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort notmuch notmuch-tree notmuch-jump notmuch-hello
notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-message
notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company
notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs
notmuch-tag crm notmuch-lib notmuch-version notmuch-compat mail-extr
password-store auth-source-pass with-editor server completion epa-file
rcirc files-x find-dired grep fennel-mode fennel-eldoc inf-lisp cl-print
loadhist org-goto macrostep-c cmacexp macrostep hl-line telega-obsolete
telega telega-tdlib-events telega-webpage visual-fill-column telega-root
telega-info telega-chat telega-modes telega-company telega-user
telega-notifications notifications telega-voip telega-msg telega-tme
telega-sticker telega-i18n telega-vvnote bindat telega-ffplay
telega-media telega-sort telega-filter telega-ins telega-folders
telega-inline telega-tdlib telega-util rainbow-identifiers dired-aux
telega-server telega-core cursor-sensor telega-customize emacsbug
embark-consult-autoloads embark-org embark embark-autoloads loaddefs-gen
lisp-mnt tar-mode mm-archive network-stream url-cache url-http url-auth
url-gw nsm misearch multi-isearch consult-register consult-imenu rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok mhtml-mode css-mode smie
color js c-ts-common treesit imenu sgml-mode facemenu shortdoc tex-mode
whitespace tempo image-file image-converter disp-table char-fold
consult-vertico consult bookmark display-line-numbers
display-fill-column-indicator paredit edmacro kmacro vertico
corfu-history corfu hi-lock hl-todo compat diff-hl log-view pcvs-util
vc-dir ewoc vc cus-start orderless pdf-loader finder-inf ob-sqlite
ob-sql ob-lisp ob-scheme geiser-impl help-fns radix-tree geiser-custom
geiser-base geiser savehist ob-R ob-plantuml ob-org org-clock
modus-operandi-theme modus-themes ob-makefile ob-lua ob-latex ob-java
ob-dot slime apropos etags fileloop xref arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec
flyspell ispell fortune flymake-proc flymake project compile
pixel-scroll cua-base comp comp-cstr warnings delsel goto-addr cap-words
superword subword saveplace vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher
oc-basic cl-extra help-mode ffap org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util
text-property-search range ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif
ls-lisp dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi autorevert filenotify cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit
ob-clojure ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs bug-reference ob-shell shell org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline icons
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
org-drill-autoloads cape-autoloads graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads
bbdb-autoloads paredit-autoloads modus-themes-autoloads
lua-mode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads kotlin-mode-autoloads
orderless-autoloads consult-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads
geiser-autoloads emms-autoloads flymake-grammarly-autoloads
grammarly-autoloads bnf-mode-autoloads websocket-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads fennel-mode-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
vertico-autoloads request-autoloads telega-autoloads
rainbow-identifiers-autoloads sql-indent-autoloads ess-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads cider-autoloads
spinner-autoloads parseedn-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads
corfu-autoloads sesman-autoloads visual-fill-column-autoloads
mentor-autoloads async-autoloads xml-rpc-autoloads ebnf-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads url-scgi-autoloads elfeed-tube-mpv-autoloads
mpv-autoloads elfeed-tube-autoloads aio-autoloads elfeed-autoloads
citar-autoloads citeproc-autoloads string-inflection-autoloads
queue-autoloads f-autoloads parsebib-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads git-commit-autoloads transient-autoloads
dash-autoloads slime-autoloads macrostep-autoloads parseclj-autoloads
persist-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads tablist-autoloads chess-autoloads
diff-hl-autoloads marginalia-autoloads sqlup-mode-autoloads
password-store-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads
s-autoloads swift-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal kqueue cocoa
ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1138080 189885)
 (symbols 48 52436 38)
 (strings 32 279515 7049)
 (string-bytes 1 7979030)
 (vectors 16 96681)
 (vector-slots 8 2043673 117144)
 (floats 8 14224 984)
 (intervals 56 26278 671)
 (buffers 984 43))

-- 
"Thinking is a momentary dismissal of irrelevancies."
-- Richard Buckminster Fuller, 1969

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia