Subject: bug#62776: 30.0.50; 'project-find-file' ignoring 'file-name-history'

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 18:49:39 +0300

On 19/04/2023 18:46, Daniel Mendler wrote:
>> IIUC the issue is that is has (added) special handling for file name
>> completion, and predicates that on the name of the history variable. It
>> can/should be combined with an extra check which makes sure that the
>> completion table uses '/' as field separators. Maybe using the
>> `completion-boundaries` thingy. Or just straight calling
>> `completion-boundaries` on the history elements to extract the first
>> segment instead of hardcoding '/'.
> Vertico already handles completion boundaries. This is how the base
> string `vertico--base` is computed. But as already mentioned, this is
> unfortunately not the only issue. The issue is also that
> `project-find-file` removes the base directory. The entries in the
> history hash would need the same treatment.

But they do: the dynamically bound value of file-name-history at the 
moment when completing-read is called contain only the relative file 
names (with base directory removed).

That was the recent change in project.el we are referring to.