Subject: bug#62776: 30.0.50; 'project-find-file' ignoring 'file-name-history'

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 18:28:32 +0300

On 19/04/2023 15:05, Daniel Mendler wrote:
> All in all this makes `project-find-file` a special case which we could
> handle specially in `vertico--history-hash`, but I try really hard to
> avoid accumulating special cases in Vertico. Another alternative would
> be to control the sorting directly in `project-find-file` by setting the
> `display-sort-function` and `cycle-sort-function`, maybe via a
> configuration variable. It is not really obvious where sorting is
> handled best. For example in my Consult package, which offers "highly
> tuned" completion commands, the commands usually try to control many
> aspects of completion (including sorting), while for other simpler
> commands it is better to let the completion UI do more of the work.

 From my outside perspective, it seems appropriate to handle inside this 
function, if it's at all possible to do without mentioning the exact 
command name, etc.

IIUC the issue is that is has (added) special handling for file name 
completion, and predicates that on the name of the history variable. It 
can/should be combined with an extra check which makes sure that the 
completion table uses '/' as field separators. Maybe using the 
`completion-boundaries` thingy. Or just straight calling 
`completion-boundaries` on the history elements to extract the first 
segment instead of hardcoding '/'.