Subject: bug#62776: 30.0.50; 'project-find-file' ignoring 'file-name-history'

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 23:38:53 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I also tried replacing the latter with 'M-x vertico-mode' just now, and 
> 'M-n' seemed to work fine there, suggesting the files visited previously 
> with the same command. Tested in both Emacs 29 and 30.

To avoid miscommunication, I shall provide a precise recipe.

(And, I apologize for not providing a recipe sooner.)

REPRODUCTION STEPS:

  1. mv ~/.emacs.d ~/.emacs.d.OLD
  2. navigate to some Git repository
  3. emacs -Q
  4. M-x package-refresh-contents RET
  5. M-x package-install RET
  6. M-x vertico RET
  7. M-x vertico-mode RET
  8. C-x p f <SOME-FILE-NAME> RET
  9. C-x p f

EXPECTED RESULT:

  Vertico pops up, showing 10 candidates.  The first candidate is
  <SOME-FILE-NAME>, the file that was opened most recently.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

  Vertico pops up, but the first candidate is not <SOME-FILE-NAME>.

NOTES:

  If I type M-x instead of C-x p f, Vertico pops up 10 most recently
  used commands, such as 'package-refresh-contents' or 'package-install'
  in this case.  All the other commands that have histories work the
  same way, only C-x p f does not work that way (anymore, but it used
  to).

Rudy
-- 
"Programming reliably -- must be an activity of an undeniably
mathematical nature […] You see, mathematics is about thinking, and
doing mathematics is always trying to think as well as possible."
-- Edsger W. Dijkstra, 1981

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia