Subject: bug#62767: 29.0.90; [PATCH] *lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: set variables after info package

From: lin Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 16:16:55 +0000

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:12:29 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> wrote:
> Thanks, but we cannot possibly change Info-default-directory-list
> behind the user's back.  Info-default-directory-list is a user option,
> so Emacs itself cannot modify its value.
>
> Moreover, Info-default-directory-list is considered only once, when
> info.el is loaded and initialized for the first time.  Whereas
> package.el can be used for installing a package in the middle of a
> running Emacs session, when info.el was already loaded, and so
> modifying Info-default-directory-list will not have any effect until
> the next restart of Emacs.  Do we require users to restart Emacs after
> installing a package via package.el?
>
> Going back to the original problem, AFAIU you wanted to avoid loading
> info.el at startup, because that makes startup slower, is that right?
> Then how about adding a new variable, Info-packages-directory-list,
> say, to which package.el will add directories of the installed
> packages, and info.el will use when it first loads?  Would that solve
> the problem?
Totally, Info-default-directory-list is a customer variable, and it is
considered only once, not the perfect one.
And yes, the original motivation is to avoid loading info.el at startup.
With your comment, I'm going to search better way to avoid loading
info.el, thanks !

Best Regards
Lin