Subject: Re: bug#62762: 'make' often errors with "Org version mismatch" after pulling a new version of the code

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 09:10:33 +0300

> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 02:09:45 +0300
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> Could someone fix that, so that I don't have to 'make bootstrap' every 
> other time after a 'git pull'?

First, you don't need to "make bootstrap" in this case.  It is enough
to say "touch lisp/org/*.el".

And second, I tried to install a solution to that on the master
branch, but it is not perfect, to say the least: depending on which
*.el files in lisp/org/ were updated by the same pull/merge that
brought the new org-version.el (which is the source of the trouble),
the solution I installed may or may not work.

So a better solution is probably to "touch" all the *.el files in
lisp/org/ (or just some of them, if we can identify them) when
org-version.el is updated.  Patches welcome, or I will get to that
eventually.

Or maybe Org folks (CC'ed) could suggest a better fix.  I understand
the reasons for this behavior in Org, but none of the reasons
described in org-version.el are relevant to Emacs development, when a
new version of Org is merged.  Maybe the abort could be augmented not
to produce such a drastic effect?