Subject: Re: bug#62762: 'make' often errors with "Org version mismatch" after pulling a new version of the code

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 14:59:57 +0200

> Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 14:38:36 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 25/11/2023 09:08, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > The change we installed in the Emacs build procedure simply delays the
> > error until Org is actually used (as opposed to just being compiled as
> > part of the build update).
> 
> In that case, could we have a way to avoid rebuilding the manuals? I 

No one can guarantee that building the manuals is the only situation
where Org will be invoked during the build.  So this doesn't sound
like worth the trouble to me.  But you could always manually touch all
the manuals in the info/ subdirectory, before building, if you don't
care about keeping the manuals up-to-date.

> Rebuilding the manual is in general the slowest step of the minor 
> rebuilds, and skipping it could avoid this error to (at least until 
> org-mode is used, yes).

Manuals are rebuilt relatively rarely, and those in doc/emacs and
doc/lispref are rebuilt in parallel to other build commands, so "the
slowest step" is not accurate IME.  Another thing to keep in mind is
that whenever the Org macros change, frequently so does the Org
manual...