Subject: Re: bug#62762: 'make' often errors with "Org version mismatch" after pulling a new version of the code

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 12:30:01 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This is aiming for Org's bugfix branch (as a critical fix).
>> AFAIK, Org bugfix releases were going into release branch.
>> 
>> At the same time, this change is not aiming at Org distributed within
>> Emacs tree. The whole issue is with ELPA version of Org.
>
> The above two paragraphs contradict each other, AFAIU.  If a change is
> installed on the release branch of the Emacs Git repository, it will
> be included in the release tarball, and thus in the Emacs source tree.
>
> OTOH, if this is not about the Emacs Git repository, then why did you
> say you were asking Emacs developers these questions?
>
> I guess I'm missing something here.

Normally, every Org release is synchronized with Emacs upstream (master).
During the Emacs release, we have done the same for Emacs emacs-29
branch (Org 9.6.6 is included in emacs-29; see
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/org/org.el?h=emacs-29#n12).

However, during the Emacs release process, if significant changes have
to be done on Org side, we may consider not syncing the Emacs release
branch and Org bugfix. See
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintenance.html#org-version-emacs

But definition of "significant" is subjective. So, I wanted to clarify
with you (Emacs dev).

CCing Kyle Meyer, in case if I misunderstand something.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>