Subject: bug#62762: 'make' often errors with "Org version mismatch" after pulling a new version of the code

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 10:59:57 +0000

Max Nikulin <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 23/06/2023 19:02, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> 1. Use `org-reload' instead of load-dir test.
>
> Just a reminder: directory test may catch the case with shadowing by Ort 
> that is not compiled. Version comparison is unable to detect it.

Yeah, you are right. We may need to combine both the approaches with
shadow require and version check.

I will look further into this.

>> I do not think that we should throw and error. `org-reload' approach
>> should hopefully solve the problem with mixed versions.
>
> Have you tested compilation with Org  already loaded to Emacs <= 28?

Do you know how to do it? Our previous reproducers involved M-x
package-install, but I am not sure how to test it without ELPA release.

>> P.S. I am not sure how to approach this patch in a view of the Emacs
>> release process.
> Are there other consequences of your changes for incremental rebuilds in 
> Emacs source tree besides converting error to warning?

There are no consequences at all. The whole check is completely bypassed
in Emacs tree. Even the warning is suppressed. See
`org--inhibit-version-check'.

> My impression is that the most wide spread case is installing the Org 
> ELPA package should just work in Emacs-29. I am unsure concerning 
> precise scenario for spacemacs. I have not idea if shadowing by 
> correctly compiled Org is a frequent issue. Are there other cases 
> affecting significant number of users and what is behavior for them?

Installing is not the concern. My concern is introducing major changes
right ahead for the release. My question was aimed at the Emacs devs
here.

> Current warning is so long that it may confuse users who sees only its 
> final part.

You are right. I will think how to approach this.
I am considering:
1. Move most the warning to dedicated manual section.
2. Display additional short warning at the bottom.

I am now leaning towards (1).

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>