Subject: Re: bug#62762: 'make' often errors with "Org version mismatch" after pulling a new version of the code

From: Max Nikulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 21:37:05 +0700

On 23/06/2023 19:02, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> 1. Use `org-reload' instead of load-dir test.

Just a reminder: directory test may catch the case with shadowing by Ort 
that is not compiled. Version comparison is unable to detect it.

> I do not think that we should throw and error. `org-reload' approach
> should hopefully solve the problem with mixed versions.

Have you tested compilation with Org  already loaded to Emacs <= 28?

> P.S. I am not sure how to approach this patch in a view of the Emacs
> release process.
Are there other consequences of your changes for incremental rebuilds in 
Emacs source tree besides converting error to warning?

My impression is that the most wide spread case is installing the Org 
ELPA package should just work in Emacs-29. I am unsure concerning 
precise scenario for spacemacs. I have not idea if shadowing by 
correctly compiled Org is a frequent issue. Are there other cases 
affecting significant number of users and what is behavior for them?

Current warning is so long that it may confuse users who sees only its 
final part.