Subject: bug#62762: circular dependencies in elisp files and make

From: Max Nikulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 21:59:56 +0700

On 11/05/2023 22:59, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 22:14:03 +0700 From: Max Nikulin
>>
>> My idea was to suppress loading of .elc files during compilation of
>> such files.
> 
> That idea will make a typical build much slower, for the rare case
> where such measures are really needed.  That's the wrong balance in my
> book.

I have noticed that you are afraid that correct rebuild might be too 
slow, but I do not see a reason why it should be noticeable.

1. There is no need to suppress .elc during initial clean build that 
takes enough time. It is for incremental build when usually only a 
fraction of all lisp files are recompiled
2. At first, files necessary to load bytecomp are rebuilt, so during 
compiling majority of files, suffix list is modified immediately before 
`byte-compile-file' call. That is why only files required by source file 
of the current target are affected.
3. I hope, it is possible to suppress loading of .elc only in the case 
of circular dependencies.