Subject: Re: bug#62762: 'make' often errors with "Org version mismatch" after pulling a new version of the code

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 07:18:18 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Or maybe Org folks (CC'ed) could suggest a better fix.  I understand
> the reasons for this behavior in Org, but none of the reasons
> described in org-version.el are relevant to Emacs development, when a
> new version of Org is merged.  Maybe the abort could be augmented not
> to produce such a drastic effect?

The fact the Org error is triggered means that Emacs does not re-compile
.el files that refer to macros that have been changed.
See https://orgmode.org/list/[email-masked]

Macros not being updated, as one may expect, may break the code using
old macro expansions. So, I cannot say that Org is wrong complaining
about mismatch here. In fact, we already made the check less strict to
work around the same issue on ELPA. See
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87r10ey8ov.fsf@localhost/ and
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87pmfijrvw.fsf@localhost/

Maybe make bootstrap is justified then?

Of course, ideally, Emacs should provide a way to handle macro dependencies.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>