Subject: Re: bug#62759: [PATCH] add support for prompting for projects by name

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 20:08:19 -0400

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023, 19:20 Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi! Thanks for the patch. Pushed to master.
>
> Next time please also add the full common message, though.
>

Sorry, will do. I was expecting to need to iterate through some review
cycles :)

Also note that the idea behind the current default (and also why it
> doesn't return a project instance: just the dir) was to avoid visiting
> all the directories -- because some might be unavailable at this exact
> moment (e.g. remote, over Tramp, and currently disconnected), and some
> simply slow.

Yes, I figured that was the reason. I should also mention that I was
thinking about automatically pruning zombie projects (my backend yields
lots of those) but instead I just had project-prompt-project-name skip
zombies, for exactly this reason (that it avoids excess FS access).

It shouldn't hurt to have this as an alternative behavior, though.