Subject: bug#62751: 29.0.90; New libraries that still need to be assigned to packages

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:04:05 -0700

Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]> writes:

> There are three more libraries that deserve some attention:
>
> - lisp/obsolete/otodo-mode.el
>
>   formerly known as todo-mode.el, was obsoleted a decade ago.
>   Has the time for its removal come now? ;)

otodo-mode.el was obsoleted in Emacs 24.4, which according to
etc/HISTORY was released on 2014-10-20.

We typically keep stuff on master for 10 years after it was marked
obsolete in a release.  Doing it that way gives the community plenty of
time to adapt, and keeping obsolete stuff around is usually more or less
harmless.

We delete stuff faster only if there's a clear reason for it, for
example that it's clearly broken and/or harmful.  See browse-url.el for
some examples of the former.

> - lisp/obsolete/crisp.el
> - lisp/obsolete/landmark.el
>
>   are available from GNU ELPA, so it seems unnecessary to keep
>   them in emacs.git as well.

You're not wrong, but they were obsoleted in 24.5 and 25.1.  So it's
like above, but the dates are in 2025 and 2026, or something like that.