Subject: Re: bug#62751: 29.0.90; New libraries that still need to be assigned to packages

From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:19:25 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Maybe lisp/use-package/bind-key.el should be a separate package (and
>> maybe it should be moved out of that directory).
>
> Right, so we either need to remove the "use-package" from
> package--builtins, or move it out of the lisp/use-package directory.
> Otherwise, it will show up in `M-x package-list-packages' as "available"
> rather than "built-in" (as it's now considered part of 'use-package').
>
> Given that it is its own package on GNU ELPA, I can see some logic in
> moving it out of the use-package directory.  It's never ideal to move
> files with git, but OTOH it's not been with us for that long yet.
>
> Eli, Stefan, any opinions/preferences?

>> In addition to adding an entry for "lisp/obsolete", the "Package" header
>> should be removed from all files in that directory.
>
> Is that needed given the entry in finder--builtins-alist?

Currently finder-compile-keywords considers finder--builtins-alist
before the Package header, so no.  However, if you changed the order,
then you would not have to move bind-key.el out of lisp/use-package.
(Of course you would have to double-check to make sure this doesn't
have any unintended consequences.)

My alternative finder-compile-keywords current checks the Package header
before finder--builtins-alist.  I'll have to test whether reversing the
order changes anything (in addition to the mentioned cases).

> Do we have some way to list new additions to package--builtins?

Run "make finder-data" and then look at the diff?