Subject: Re: bug#62750: 29.0.50; Commands 'package-update' and 'package-update-all' should be called '*-upgrade'

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 17:40:05 -0400

>>> I don't think that "update" and "upgrade" have that clear of a semantic
>>> difference in practice to necessitate a renaming.
>> I'd tend to agree.
>
> Here's an argument in favor of renaming:
>
> These commands use the term 'update'. But package-menu-mark-upgrades, which
> has been in package.el for years, uses the term 'upgrade' in its name and
> its docstring ("all upgradable packages", etc). There are a few auxiliary
> functions which also use that term, but this is the public-facing one.
>
> So now we have divergent terminology. Which implies that there is some
> difference between "upgrading" and "updating" in package.el, while there
> is none.

Good point.

It's annoyingly late to rename, but if we rename without compatibility
aliases (which seems to be an option since these are new in Emacs-29),
then I'd be in favor.

        Stefan