Subject: 23.2; url-retrieve-synchronously freezes

From: Johan Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:01:39 +0200

Hey,

The function `url-retrieve-synchronously' defined in url.el does not
work as expected. When calling the function, everything freezes,
but only until I either move the mouse or press something on the
keyboard. Then the action continues to execute.

The problem is easiest reproduced with this:
(let ((url "http://google.com"))
  (switch-to-buffer (url-retrieve-synchronously (url-generic-parse-url
  url))))

The problem appears for me both in ELPA and in HTML Script Src
(http://github.com/rejeep/html-script-src)

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.3.2, NS apple-appkit-1038.29)
of 2010-05-11 on Johan-Anderssons-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/23.2' '--without-dbus' '--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--with-ns' '--disable-ns-self-contained' 'CC=/usr/bin/cc' 'CFLAGS=-O3 -march=core2 -msse4.1 -w -pipe''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x b <return> C-y C-x C-e C-x <return> C-g C-x k <return> 
C-SPC C-p C-p C-x s-w C-g C-n C-n C-y C-p C-p C-p C-e 
C-SPC C-a C-p M-x M-p M-p c l i <tab> p <backspace> 
k i <tab> i <tab> <return> M-x e m a c s - b u <tab> 
<backspace> <backspace> r e <tab> p o <tab> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e 
p o <tab> o <tab> <backspace> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Reading [text/html; charset=UTF-8]... 229 bytes of 218 bytes (105%)
Reading... done.
www.google.se tried to set a cookie for domain .google.se - rejected.
#<buffer  *http www.google.se:80*>
Mark set
Quit
Mark set [2 times]
goto-history-element: Beginning of history; no preceding item [2 times]
Making completion list...
call-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev nnheader
gnus-util netrc gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash emacsbug help-mode view mail-utils url-cache url-http tls
url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums time-date
url-gw url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-util url-parse timezone url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr
mailcap tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)