Subject: bug#62721: 30.0.50; EUDC: stop adding a wildcard to LDAP searches

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 14:28:39 -0400

Hi Fabrice,

Fabrice Bauzac-Stehly <[email-masked]> writes:

> For the time being, on my side, I customize "Eudc Ldap No Wildcard
> Attributes" by adding to this list the attribute for which I don't want
> an automatic "*" wildcard appended.

Do you mind posting the `eudc-ldap-no-wildcard-attributes' setting you
ended up with?  The docstring for that variable doesn't mention
adjusting this as a preference, only LDAP failure workarounds.  I would
like to update the docstring with an example, to make your use case more
discoverable.

> As a software engineer, I suspect this issue could be better addressed
> by the Emacs codebase, because I don't think it is wise for
> eudc-query-form to arbitrarily add an automatic wildcard to the last
> field, this does not make sense to me.  But I'll let Emacs experts think
> about it.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, I have this workaround that works for me.

OK, thanks for following up.  My feeling is that someone using both
`eudc-query-form' and `eudc-expand-inline' would want the behaviour of
both functions to match with respect to wildcard addition.  And
`eudc-ldap-no-wildcard-attributes' allows the user to customize the
behaviour to their preference/expectation (which you've done), so I
think this is fine as-is (except the docstring).

Thomas