Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 08:49:14 +0300

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 21:08:32 +0100
> Cc: "Philip K." <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
> 	Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> 
>  > If this change can't go into emacs-29, I think it's better to add
>  > an M-x eglot-update to eglot.el.
> 
>  That's the worst of all worlds.
> 
> Why? It's the safest option. Absolutely no package.el regression possible, and doesn't solve a problem
> where you don't think I've exists.

>From your POV of the Eglot maintainer, it might make sense.  But from
my POV, it doesn't: the problem here is general, and a solution is at
hand that will give you what you want and also support all the other
core packages.

>  What is the problem with the two possible solutions I suggested?
> 
> They are incongruent and not very user friendly IMO.

The one which proposed a new command is a natural generalization of
your eglot-update proposal, so I think it is as user-friendly as it
gets.  As for congruency, Stefan just expressed his intuition about
that, and I tend to agree with him: upgrades of core packages should
indeed be handled by separate command(s) with somewhat different rules
and perhaps also a different UI.