Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 08:04:23 +0300

> Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 02:58:25 +0300
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> Let's get back to the previous topic. What about the previous fix for 
> package-upgrade that I posted, one that makes it unconditionally upgrade 
> built-in packages when invoked?
> 
> The one attached here: https://debbugs.gnu.org/62720#718
> 
> Can we put it on master now, or do we have to wait for some feedback 
> from Emacs 29 first?

I'd prefer the latter.  I'd prefer even more to have same behavior in
Emacs 20 and Emacs 30, which could be possible if we decide to make
this change in Emacs 29.2, based on feedback.  Because is it really a
good idea to have the master and the release branch behave so
differently in this regard?  People who use both branches, or switch
from one to the other, will become confused.

Philip, Stefan: WDYT about this?