Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 09:48:08 +0200

>>>>> On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:53:16 +0100, João Távora <[email-masked]> said:

    João> On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 7:08 PM Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >> "We" may not know that, but by the principle of not giving me things *I*
    >> didnʼt ask for, *I* donʼt want ':core' packages being automatically
    >> upgraded, unless I either
    >> 
    >> 1. explicitly ask for such an upgrade
    >> 2. have myself somehow installed a newer version already, in which case
    >> itʼs no longer a ':core' package
    >> 
    >> Iʼve not checked, but does whatʼs currently in emacs-29 not give us at
    >> least [1]?

    João> Not when package dependencies are involved.  If you weren't aware,
    João> in Emacs 26 (including 29), if you explicitly ask to install package A
    João> and it depends on :core package B, which you didn't ask to install,
    João> package B gets upgraded.

I think thatʼs OK as a behaviour

    João> In another data point, the last two patches I proposed to package-install
    João> are similar and only extend the "upgrade-even-if-:core" behaviour
    João> to two packages that weren't core are now :core.  Those two packages
    João> are Eglot and Use-Package.  The rationale I used to develop these patches
    João> was to protect users like you (inasmuch as Emacs 28 already protects
    João> you) _and_ to protect Eglot users.  I am of course presuming that
    João> you aren't/weren't also an Eglot user, otherwise you would have been
    João> hit by these package upgrades related to dependencies in Emacs 28
    João> and would have noticed them.

I use eglot on emacs-29, but have never installed it (and I never run
emacs-28 any more :-))

Robert
--