Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 03:22:32 +0300

On 20/04/2023 17:40, João Távora wrote:
> Yes, for sure, we'll deprecate it and make it re-route to
> package-upgrade.  And what do you think of the idea of package.el
> becoming :core itself.  It doesn't seem to have many dependencies.
> If that were to happen and the fixed package.el you (or someone else)
> is going to eventually propose to Emacs 29 was out in the open,
> eglot-update wouldn't be needed.  And we would never have these
> discussions under the shadow of the no-more-changes and
> the pretest's pressure.

I don't know, someone should really test that idea, hard.

It could exhibit the same problem that some package upgrades do: the 
installed packages is not properly reloaded, and the new version is not 
quite usable until Emacs' restart (I recall you saw something like this 
with project.el).

For such a central piece of infrastructure this could be a bigger 
problem by itself, and could even be made worse by the fact that the 
code which installs the new version of package.el also belongs to it, so 
it'll be hotswapped (right?) sometime during its execution.