Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:40:49 +0100

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 3:31 PM Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On 20/04/2023 17:25, João Távora wrote:
> > Whoops, sorry, made a thinko.  package-update_doesn't_  really
> > obviate the need for eglot-update, because it won't be callable
> > in Emacs 26/27/28, and eglot-update will.
> >
> > ...unless package.el itself becomes a :core package and
> > self-updates through ELPA, which I think is being proposed
> > around here somewhere.  Could happen in master (and leave
> > Emacs's 29 version untouched).
> >
> > So for the moment eglot-update is my best out.
>
> We could add it and then make a tentative plan (with a TODO comment) to
> remove it as soon as a version of Emacs with package-upgrade that
> supports upgrading builtins becomes the older supported version.
>
> That would be in line with our general policy of developing :core
> packages anyway.

Yes, for sure, we'll deprecate it and make it re-route to
package-upgrade.  And what do you think of the idea of package.el
becoming :core itself.  It doesn't seem to have many dependencies.
If that were to happen and the fixed package.el you (or someone else)
is going to eventually propose to Emacs 29 was out in the open,
eglot-update wouldn't be needed.  And we would never have these
discussions under the shadow of the no-more-changes and
the pretest's pressure.

João