Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:25:00 +0100

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 2:56 PM João Távora <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 2:39 PM Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > The reasons for me to be less hopeful:
> >
> > - We seem to be unable to come to any agreement here. :-D
> >
> > Joao's approval for the above list would go a long way.
>
> First of all, thank you Dmitry for making such an extensive
> and detailed summary of the simualtion.  It's really
> impressive.
>
> What you say about a fixed package-update obviating the need
> for eglot-update is totally true.  In fact I proposed a fixed
> package-update much much earlier in this thread.  If you
> manage to do that, then I'm more than happy to remove
> eglot-update.

Whoops, sorry, made a thinko.  package-update _doesn't_ really
obviate the need for eglot-update, because it won't be callable
in Emacs 26/27/28, and eglot-update will.

...unless package.el itself becomes a :core package and
self-updates through ELPA, which I think is being proposed
around here somewhere.  Could happen in master (and leave
Emacs's 29 version untouched).

So for the moment eglot-update is my best out.

João