Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:31:52 +0100

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 11:02 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I will say up front that, given what I already read here and in the
> related thread on emacs-devel, there seem to be too many
> inconsistencies and dark corners in this, in particular when built-in
> packages are involved.  We will probably be unable to solve them in
> time for Emacs 29.1, certainly not all of them.  So don't raise your
> expectations too high.

Yes, I don't have these expectations.  Please in the meantime, allow
me add to eglot.el:

 (defun eglot-update ()  "Update Eglot regardless of package.el policy."
    (interactive)
    (unless package-archive-contents (package-refresh-contents))
    (package-install (cadr (assoc 'eglot package-archive-contents))

This will allow at least Eglot users to weather the storm until Emacs
30.  I know you forbade this in the past, but now that more "facts and
subtleties" have come to light, maybe you can reconsider?  I'll readily
deprecate this function when a solution has been found for the next
Emacs.  It doesn't really affect anyone but Eglot users and these
are, in your own admission, already negatively affected anyway, so
what is there to lose?

João