Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 20:23:05 +0300

On 19/04/2023 19:10, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> To answer the original question: N weeks still haven't passed (I guess)
>> since 1.15 was tagged, so we don't quite know whether it's acceptable
>> for emacs-29.
> That is fine with me, assuming N has some reasonable value.  It means
> I could ask you again before the next pretest, and then again before
> RC, and perhaps you'd then agree to import a newer Eglot.

More or less.

> But note that this is not what João is saying.  He says 1.14 will not
> be in Emacs 29.1, period.  No matter how long I will drag the pretest.
> He certainly doesn't want to invest the effort of making Eglot 1.14
> less dependent on latest changes in other packages, so as to make sure
> we could drop Eglot 1.14 into Emacs 29 without risking any problems
> elsewhere.  And that more or less seals the issue, effectively setting
> your N to infinity.

I think you're simply talking past each other, and will essentially 
agree on that "N weeks" thing outside of this discussion.

But also note that you added a complication: avoid bumping the required 
dependencies. If the backport is not performed as-is and needs 
additional changes (with extra shims, stubbed new features, etc, instead 
of simply using new features from the latest eldoc.el), then you are not 
just asking whether the maintainer thinks the new version is good and 
stable, but also whether they are willing to expend extra effort 
altering it and maintaining diverging versions of code.