Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:23:19 +0100

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 5:10 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> But note that this is not what João is saying.  He says 1.14 will not
> be in Emacs 29.1, period.  No matter how long I will drag the pretest.
> He certainly doesn't want to invest the effort of making Eglot 1.14
> less dependent on latest changes in other packages, so as to make sure
> we could drop Eglot 1.14 into Emacs 29 without risking any problems
> elsewhere.  And that more or less seals the issue, effectively setting
> your N to infinity.

This is extremely odd for me.  Weren't you the one very, very sternly
asking for almost _no_ changes to go into Elisp code of the Emacs 29
now that it is in pretest.  And now you're liberally and casually
suggesting way-over-last minute changes and work to go into that same
version?

This just doesn't make any sense to me.  Can't you understand that other
maintainers also value stability for their packages?

It's certainly NOT about "not wanting to invest the effort".  That effort
would amount to forking Eglot in its feature set so that effort would be
a disservice to everybody.

João