Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:02:06 +0300

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:04:30 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
> 	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 2:35 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > My interpretation of option 2 is that we get a newer Eglot (1.14 or
> > 1.15, whichever you decide is stable enough) with various minor
> > fallbacks intended to work around the fact that dependency packages
> > are not necessarily at their versions for which Eglot 1.14/1.15 was
> > designed to work, if the versions of those dependencies in Emacs 29.1
> > are older.
> 
> Why put ourselves (mostly myself) through these chores??

Because I thought we agreed that requiring newer versions of other
packages where that could be avoided (note: "could be avoided", not
"is nice to have") is a Good Thing, and is well worth these chores.
But if you don't agree, fine; just one more disagreement between us.

> Just so that two weeks later after whatever Emacs 29 is officially
> released a more recent, "stable" version is already available?

No, just so users of Emacs 29 could have a better Eglot without any
complications.

But again, have it your way.  I said I won't argue with your decision
in this matter.  I just wanted you and everyone else to understand my
position on this.