Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 22:54:05 +0100

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 9:46 PM Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On 14/04/2023 22:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > If, OTOH,
> > you think that it's imperative to allow_all_  users of Eglot with
> > Emacs 29 to upgrade to Eglot 1.14 (and 1.15, 1.16, etc., when those
> > become available), then we should release Emacs 29 with 1.14.
> Was this question about stability only?
>
> Because since we've decided in favor of stability of package.el, and
> against eglot's easy upgradability,

Needlessly, I might add, since the simplest patch that did both things
was completely ignored (except for you and Philip).

> I would suggest to backport Eglot
> 1.14 to emacs-29. Together with the fix for bug#62816. The improvement
> in eldoc's behavior is pretty stark.

I'm against that (though I could be convinced).  Note that there are many
things to backport, such as non-bugfix improvements in Eglot's dependencies,
which would _also_ have to be backported.  In this case ElDoc 1.14.  And
if you want the full "stark improvement" package for the echo-area flooding
business, Flymake would likely also need to be backported.

Besides, by the time Emacs 29 is released.  Eglot will probably be at
1.15 or even more with the "breadcrumb headline" feature request of
bug#58431, a class hierarchy browser and a few others.

We could cherry-pick the backports you think are most valuable though,
like bug#62816 (ask to reopen there and convince Eli that the fix
is sound) and maybe a few more.  I'd support that.

João