Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 11:37:40 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 10:41:52 +0000
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > What is your preference? change package-install or package-update?  I
>> > tend to the former.
>> 
>> I have no preference either way.  If you think that package-install is
>> fine, and João has expressed interest in that route as well, we might as
>> well go that way.
>
> OK, then let's do that, and thanks.

Great, then just to that we are on the same page, what approach do we
finally want to decide on?

- User option to enable upgrading built-in packages
- Prefix argument to enable upgrading built-in packages
- Always upgrade built-in packages

I argue the last option should be safe.  Semantically it would also make
sense, since invoking the command can be taken to be take to be an
explicit request, and if it is not what a user wants (I assume that João
think this is not probable), then it is easy to revert.

If we decide that this is not acceptable, then we can fall back onto the
patch that uses a prefix argument or a user option.

-- 
Philip Kaludercic