Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 20:04:37 +0000

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > Notwithstanding this personal opinion, I underline again that
>> > it _is_ possible to craft a simple, emacs-29-safe modification,
>> > to the package-install function that is even more cautious to
>> > download certain types of things.
>>
>> Philip presented such a safe modification, and we are in the final
>> stages of discussing its details, before it will be installed.  So
>> yes, it is possible.

I might have missed a message, what was the last state here?

> As I've explained to Philip, the big drawback of that -- undoubtedly
> safe -- modification is that it is not compatible to user's
> configurations that have a (use-package 'eglot) or a
> (package-install 'eglot) in them.

Again: Are we sure about this?  After all, the package is installed
(which I think is the main thing), it just might not have the most
recent version.  Calling this "not compatible" seems excessive.