Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 19:33:34 +0000

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 7:26 PM Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> > Here's another solution you may want to consider.  package-install
>> > in Emacs 29 updates built-ins non-interactively always.  Interactively
>> > asks the user with a confirmation prompt.  This solution would
>> > also work.
>>
>> What would the confirmation prompt ask the user?
>
> "Are you sure you want to install Foo which is [also|now] a built-in
> package in Emacs 29?"

I feel this is confusing, if a user is not familiar with the way
built-in packages can be upgraded and are maintained.  Perhaps instead
of a simple yes-or-no-p, we could use read-multiple-choice to add some
more background?

>> Are you sure?  The `alist-get' call returns a list, since
>> `package-archive-contents' is a map of package names to a list of
>> package descriptors.
>
> Yeah, probably needs a cdr or car there for good measure.  Great.

Specifically (cadr (assq 'eglot package-archive-contents))

> João