Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 20:47:01 +0300

On 14/04/2023 20:43, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Regarding the currently proposed user option, does it make sense to you
>> to have such option that decides whether package-install upgrades
>> built-ins? Whereas one can always upgrade a built-in package using 'i'
>> (package-menu-mark-install) in the list-packages menu, no matter the
>> value of that option. I get the backward-compatibility intent, but user
>> options should also do something logical from a user's point of view.
> All these questions should have been raised and discussed months ago.
> Then we could have done the best for the users (what that is, is still
> unclear even at this point).  Now it's too late, and the main factor
> that will decide how Emacs 29.1 will behave in that regard is whether
> the changes to implement that are safe enough to go into Emacs 29.1.

We certainly dropped the ball on this.

> To answer your question more specifically: yes, it does make sense to
> me.  The logic, so it seems, is in the eyes of the beholder, and my
> eyes do see a certain logic there.

Perhaps it does, and my concern is in vain.

But if we ultimately decide that it has weird semantics and adds 
undesirable cost to improving the package further, the 
obsoletion-deprecation cycle has always been a pain, so I really prefer 
to solve these issues without adding options, when possible.