Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 16:54:07 +0000

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> Fortunately, though the use-package manual "expects that most users
> will find [package.el] capable enough", it also explains how to switch
> away from package.el into a third party package-manager. Given the
> state of this bug and for their sake, I hope they do.

As this issue only affects Eglot (a package that doesn't require that
much customisation to be used), I don't think the situation is as
drastic as you are portraying it to be.

If we all try to have a cooperative, non-alarmist attitude towards
solving the issue at hand, I am sure a suitable solution will be found.

Also keep in mind that I have proposed multiple patches that take
difference approaches.  Perhaps it would be of use to recapitulate them,
and you can explain which would be satisfying and which you think
wouldn't be as helpful:

- Use `package-install' to switch from a built-in package to the version
  from ELPA

  - Alternatively it has to be confirmed using a prefix argument
  - Alternatively it has to be enabled using a user option

- Use `package-update' (not `package-update-all') to switch from a
  built-in package to the version from ELPA

  (Same alternatives as above)

- Have both `package-update' and `package-update-all' switch potentially
  all packages from built-in versions to ELPA versions

  (Same alternatives as above)

- Provide a separate command to switch from a built-in version to a
  version from ELPA

That should be it?