Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 16:34:47 +0100

On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 2:52 PM Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have no objection to catering to people who have already asked for
> the installation of a package that is now :core. But one that wasnʼt
> installed explicitly (ie itʼs only there because Emacs now ships it)
> shouldnʼt be upgraded.

I think I don't fully understand.

Maybe you can answer this: if a user is setting up Emacs 28 in company
laptop machines regularly and does M-x package-install RET eglot RET there,
or has a script with (package-install 'eglot), should or shouldn't this
user, in your opinion, be allowed to do exactly the same, with the same
predictable results (in this case getting the latest Eglot), when she starts
doing the same in Emacs 29, which now contains Eglot as a built-in?

What about other builtin packages that, contrary to Eglot, already existed
in Emacs 28?  If your answer is different now, maybe we should record
that difference somewhere, so we know what packages came from ELPA into
:core and when, and can decide accordingly.  Who knows maybe just
whitelisting Eglot and any other packages that weren't built-in in 28
and are now built-in Emacs 29 is the answer to all this.

João