Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 19:13:56 +0300

On 13/04/2023 18:59, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Philip Kaludercic<[email-masked]>
>> Cc:[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],
>>    [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 15:14:51 +0000
>>
>>> I have found an alternative that doesn't change the way
>>> `package-compute-transaction' works, but requires a small change in
>>> `package-install':
>> I have found a smaller but equivalent change that would also solve the
>> issue:
> Are we still sure we want to change package-install, not
> package-upgrade?  AFAIU, there were several voices that preferred the
> latter, with the rationale that a built-in package is always
> "installed", so "installing" it makes little or no sense.

Note that this notion would probably go better together with changing 
package-install's behavior to never update, for any packages that are 
already installed. That would make it consistent, but it's also a 
breaking change.

So I really just mentioned it as a weak justification for not fixing 
package-install just now (so we'd make the decision about it later). 
Where the main cause for (not) doing that was your reticence for 
changing it this late in the cycle.