Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 19:53:01 +0300

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 17:13:27 +0100
> Cc: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], 
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 4:17 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > The above questions and undocumented subtleties is what scares me in
> > installing such changes at this late stage.  I'm not sure everyone
> > involved, yourself included, have a clear understanding of what the
> > modified code will do in each possible use case.  That is why I very
> > much prefer separate code, which will then free us from the need of
> > considering all these subtleties, as the last year of user's
> > experience with this code can vouch that it does its job correctly, by
> > and large.
> 
> Alright, I've tried my hand at making this clean separation, so that
> no logic of transaction or existing predicates is touched.  I tried to
> make it as intelligible as possible perhaps overdoing the commentary
> and the naming, but we can always trim it.

Thanks, but this is not separate code.  It adds 21 built-in packages
to the list of completion candidates that the user can choose in
package-install, and who knows what kind of confusion this could cause
when users see packages like Xref and Package and Tramp and seq and
Python and Org in that list, and what accidents that could cause if
users select one of those by mistake, because they never saw them
there before?

PLEASE show me a completely separate code or a separate command, then
I will agree to this last-minute addition.