Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 14:42:40 +0000

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 11:43 AM Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> >> It's not impossible to upgrade in Emacs 29, of course.  The only way I
>> >> know is to M-x package-list-packages, find Eglot 1.14 in the list, mark
>> >> it with 'i' and confirm installation with 'x'.  But it is very awkward.
>> >
>> > Maybe we should add a `package-upgrade` command?
>>
>> Just for :core packages or how would this differ from package-update?
>
> Just a note that I forgot M-x package-update existed.  I was
> hoping it wouldn't suffer the same bug as package-install, but
> alas it does.

As package-update just defers to package-install, I don't find this
surprising.  What you want is that package.el always treats a built-in
package as upgradable to a package from ELPA.  It seems like this should
be possible by adjusting the interactive spec of package-install and
modifying package-compute-transaction or even package-built-in-p.

> João

-- 
Philip Kaludercic