Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 18:49:09 +0300

On 12/04/2023 14:08, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: João Távora<[email-masked]>
>> Cc:[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],
>>    [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 12:00:04 +0100
>>
>> Had another idea: what about this very tiny patch, then?  It makes `M-x
>> package-install` work for installing a :core package.  This also rhymes
>> exactly with Stefan's intution/feeling that :core packages need to be
>> "installed" to promote them to installable.  The current M-x
>> package-install recommendation could remain flawlessly and then you can
>> do whatever you think is best for M-x package-update & friends.
> This has the same problem: it modifies a function that is called in
> too many places.  package-installed-p has half a dozen callers in
> package.el alone.  The change is tiny, but what about its
> implications on every use case where it is involved?

What if we only fix 'package-upgrade' (nee package-update) in emacs-29?

It's a new function, after all. And semantically, the result would be 
somewhat sensible: since 'eglot' is already installed ("bundled" or 
whatever), having 'package-install' fail is not that big a deal, as long 
as 'M-x package-upgrade' works.