Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 15:14:11 +0100

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 3:11 PM Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> >>> +(defun package-core-p (package)
> >>> +  "Return non-nil the built-in version of PACKAGE is loaded."
> >>
> >> Didn't you say the "core" terminology was confusing people?
> >
> > TBH I am not really satisfied with the name (so any other suggestion is
> > just as fine for me), and as Joao said it would be better to make the
> > predicate as internal so that users are not expected to deal with it.
>
> Beside "core" and "built-in" (with or without dash), another name that's
> been used over the years is "bundled".  I don't have a strong preference
> between those.

Isn't "bundled" better left for when non-core, non-builtin ELPA packages
are somehow thrown together with the Emacs release tarball or the
platform-specific
builds we make of them?

João